“I felt drawn toward the ideas of collaboration and doing more than tricks, but using my skills to tell a story. . . It brings me together with a group of other people who want to train and grow in their chosen disciplines. Being around others inspires me to train harder and more seriously.” – Joe Y.
The 9-month intensive is for artists taking their circus training and performance to the next level. The program values collaboration, improvisation, and creativity. As a marketable performer, its important to have a well rounded skill set to meet the needs of the contemporary arts field whether pursuing professional performance opportunities or entrance into a multi-year circus program. After learning a wide range of skills, students have the tools to do anything asked of them in a safe, professional way. Our graduates create visceral works that push the envelope of physicality.
The curriculum provides 27 hours per week of high-caliber training in Circus Arts, Physical Theatre, and Dance.
- Aerial Arts skills (static/dance trapeze, silks, lyra, straps, Spanish web/corde lisse, Chinese pole)
- Ground skills (hand balancing, tumbling, juggling, partner acro, contortion, tightwire, stilt walking, globe)
- Physical theatre (ensemble building, physical improvisation, devising, flocking, clown work)
- Dance (ballet, contemporary-based technique, low flying, improvisation, choreography)
- Fundamentals (stretching and conditioning, pilates, injury prevention, special topics such as Circus History, Rigging, and Career Management)
Circus, dance and physical theatre training help round out our graduates and prepare them for the world of contemporary circus. Physical Theatre is taught by acclaimed Chicago professionals including Molly Brennan, Dean Evans, and members of the Tony-award winning Lookingglass Theatre ensemble. Dance training is provided by the ground-breaking dance-theatre company, Lucky Plush Productions.
Tuition includes weekly private lessons, as well as 2-3 hours of open practice time daily. A major and a minor specialty are declared after winter break, and students showcase their work in a capstone performance in June.
The Actors Gymnasium has been a pioneer in Chicago’s circus-theatre movement since 1995. We have been celebrated for our longstanding collaboration with Lookingglass Theatre, and have won awards for artistic excellence from 3Arts, the Illinois Theatre Association, The City of Evanston and the Joseph Jefferson Committee. Multidisciplinary training is a hallmark of The Actors Gym, and applications are encouraged from those who have additional skills in music, acting, design, original work and more.