Intern at the Circus!
Interested in non-profit arts administration? Interns at The Actors Gymnasium will develop their skills in arts administration while immersing themselves in the world of daring circus performers and students. Our interns work with multiple staff members to gain an understanding of the day-to-day operations of a mid-sized non-profit arts organization. You’ll take on tasks and learn a broad range of skills in some or all of these areas:
- Non-Profit Administration
- Arts Education
- Event Entertainment
- Program Evaluations and Coordination
- Fundraising & Development
- Box Office & House Management
We want to hear what YOU’RE interested in! We’ll do our best to work with you and tailor your experience here to the subjects and departments you are most excited about!
- DATES: 4 – 6 months commitments. (Fall, September – December / Spring, January – May / Summer, May – August)
- We also offer 9 – 12 month commitments as well as internships for college students to receive credit.
- TIME: 15 hours/week most likely 10am-5:30pm, Monday-Friday. Candidates who are available to work select evenings to assist with shows will be given preference. Closed on most major holidays.
$50 per week. Other benefits include one free class per session that you work, complimentary tickets to shows, and networking with industry professionals.
Successful candidates will possess at least of the following:
- An interest in arts education, arts administration, development/fundraising, marketing, event coordination, and/or physical theatre
- The ability to undergo and satisfactorily pass a criminal background investigation
- Customer service experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- A positive outlook, friendly disposition, and professional attitude
- Data analysis skills
- Organizational skills
- The ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- The willingness to get hands dirty on some projects
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail
- The ability to learn new software programs quickly
- The ability to work independently on projects
- A collaborative attitude and ability to work under multiple supervisors
Please email your cover letter and resume with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Internship. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Our Executive Admin Departments include:
Marketing: Our Marketing Interns assist with tasks associated with running a non-profit theatre and gain a multi-faceted understanding of the different day-to-day operations of a medium-sized non-profit arts organization. Interns have a hands on comprehensive experience in arts marketing and arts education marketing that provide the skills necessary to be a viable candidate in a highly competitive field. Reports to Marketing Manager.
- Assist in planning and execution of social media, digital marketing, direct mail and other campaigns
- Maintain the theatre’s WordPress site
- Compose content for eblasts
- Maintain press and photo archives
- Assemble press kits
Events: Interns in our events department gain firsthand experience managing and coordinating performers for high profile event entertainment. Build your skill set through observation and participation in every stage of our event planning – from first lead to the big performance. Reports to Special Events Manager.
- Build and strengthen client relationships by initiating and following up on leads and requests
- Setup and administer contracts for performers and clients
- Serve as onsite contact for local events
- Attend networking Events as a representative of The Actors Gymnasium
- Create and organize list of client and talent contact information
Development: Interns in our development department will assist in essential and integral processes in the development, outreach, and growth of the organization. Reports to Marketing Manager and Executive Director.
- Serve as the communication liaison for crucial development events
- Compose and edit critical documents for grants, donors, and board members
- Create content and help drive our social media campaigns
- Maintain, update, and track donor information in our database
- Assist Executive Director as needed
Education: Our education department will expose interns to all sides of coordinating and running both onsite and outreach programs with professionals from various backgrounds – from teaching artists and administrators to school principals and program directors. Reports to Education Department.
- Create and administer contracts for off-site outreach programs
- Organize and balance schedules for classes, productions, workshops, and other events
- Compiling reports on enrollment, student demographics, and other data
- Maintaining databases and mailing lists
- Registering students for classes